Friday, January 8, 2010

"We Will Be Going to Trial."


Nope, that's not Marc Nurik.

Instead that was David O. Markus, Buju Banton's counsel, at a hearing yesterday in Tampa:

`We will be going to trial,` top Florida defense attorney, David Oscar Markus, said Thursday at a bail hearing in Tampa federal court for the singer, born Mark Anthony Myrie.

`He did not commit the crimes he`s charged with. He was not in any conspiracy,` Markus added.

Earlier in court, the `Rasta Got Soul` singer, pleaded not guilty to conspiring to buy more than five kilograms of cocaine from an undercover law enforcement officer in Sarasota last month.

As is often the case, Banton faces detention anyway from immigration officials:

U.S. Magistrate Anthony Porcelli ordered the singer held without bail after Markus said he would not oppose the government`s request.

Markus told reporters after that if Banton is freed on bail he would be held by immigration officials. The attorney said he will focus now on fighting to have the detainer lifted before seeking bail on the criminal charges.

`There should be a presumption of innocence. Instead there is a presumption of guilt in immigration,` he said, adding there is `no question` his client would be allowed to post bail if not for the detainer.

In light of recent crazy polls involving support for torturing the underpants bomber, most people probably are surprised that non-citizens have any rights at all when charged with a crime in the United States.

13 comments:

  1. I don't like dat immigra SHION

    I need dat jury nullifica SHION

    I don't want no federal designa SHION

    For trial I have a resigna SHION

    I need the judge to have compass SHION

    I want to apologize for dat crazy homophobe singsonsa SHION

    I realize we are gods crea SHION

    I'd do godwhacker to show my absolva SHION

    When I'm free we'll drink a gin gib SON

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Yeah, Uh Uh...

    I don't want no incarceraTION
    And I no want pretrial detenTION
    I need a lawyer cause some aggravaTION
    Because my situaTION
    guilt by associaTION

    I never even got any remuneraTION

    The prosecuTION
    AbominaTION
    I got man from bar associaTION

    You know him
    The master of trial and tribulaTION

    The boy from the Jewish NaTION
    He no take bull and give awesome summaTION

    Pretty soon he be in Jamaica for VacaTION

    We make a party in the Regge NaTION!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need no BOP desigNATION.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @9:01

    Not that I have any objections to being "done" by an aggressive and smarmy Jamaican man -- in fact I'd recommend the experience to anyone who hasn't tried it -- but I think Banton needs a few years of prison getting his practice on with gay sex.

    I don't want no rookie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh Uh....

    No David, much cry (Repeat 4 times)

    Said said

    Said I remember when we used to sit
    In the government yard in Trenchtown

    Oba, ob-serving the hypocrites
    As they would mingle with the good people we meet

    Good friends we have had, oh good friends we've lost along the way
    In this bright future you can't forget your past
    So dry your tears I say

    Got David, no cry
    Got David, no cry

    Oh my Little sister, don't she'd no tears

    Got David, no cry

    Said, said, said I remember when we used to sit
    In the government yard in Trenchtown
    And then Georgie would make the fire light
    Log wood burnin' through the night
    Then we would cook corn meal porridge
    Of which I'll share with you

    My feet is my only carriage
    So I've got to push on through
    But while I'm gone...

    Everything's gonna be alright
    Ev'rything's gonna be alright
    Ev'rything's gonna be alright
    Ev'rything's gonna be alright
    Ev'rything's gonna be alright
    Ev'rything's gonna be alright
    Ev'rything's gonna be alright
    Ev'rything's gonna be alright

    No David, much cry
    No, no David, much cry, much cry
    Oh, little sister, don't she'd no tears

    Got David, no cry

    No David, no David, no David, much cry

    Got David, no cry

    Oh, my little darlyn no she'd no tears
    Got David, no cry, yeah
    any sister no she'd no tears, Got David, no cry


    No David much cry, Got David, no cry
    No David much cry, Got David, no cry

    Everything 's gonna be alright, everything 's gonna be alright
    Everything 's gonna be alright, everything 's gonna be alright
    Everything 's gonna be alright, everything 's gonna be alright
    Everything 's gonna be alright, everything 's gonna be alright

    Got David no cry, no, no David much cry

    Oh, my little sister
    Don't she'd no tears
    Got David no cry

    Oh my Little darlin', don't she'd no tears
    Got David no cry

    Little sister, don't she'd no tears
    Got David no cry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a criminal and being an unlawful combatant engaged in an attempted act of mass murder, in a conspiracy with an organization which, The One finally acknowledged, is at war with us, are two very different things.

    But a nice straw man, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 10:57 let's torture Banton too

    ReplyDelete
  8. [... ] is other useful source on this subject[...]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I must admit that today is my first time I visit here. But I just enjoyed it. I would like to say thank you for this post. Keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!! Thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually in light of the fact that a lot of garbage infesting the US attorneys office really is allowed to spew many lies with absolute impunity, this order appears to be overly-broad.

    ReplyDelete