Thursday, March 18, 2010

Supreme Court Adopts New Rules on Confidentiality, Electronic Access

Well, it took awhile but the Florida Supreme Court has finally adopted recommendations from 2005 that relate to protecting confidentiality while providing electronic access to court filings:
The first set of amendments is proposed by the Committee on Access to Court Records (Access Committee). Those amendments provide a mechanism to protect confidential information in court records from public view. Enacting a procedure that ensures the confidentiality of a narrow set of court records is a necessary prerequisite to the Court‘s ongoing effort to provide the public with electronic access to court records. While there are enormous benefits to electronic access to court records, the Court has an ongoing concern that we not sacrifice the important goal of protecting those records that are confidential.

The other proposals deal specifically with the issue of sealing and unsealing court records both in criminal and civil cases. The proposals refine the procedures developed in 2007 for sealing and unsealing noncriminal trial court records and specifically include procedures targeted at criminal and appellate court records. In conjunction with these proposals, the Court also considers related amendments to the Rules of Appellate Procedure, which clarify that requests to seal appellate court records are governed by rule 2.420 and provide for review of court orders granting access to judicial branch records and proceedings, in addition to orders denying access.
Meanwhile, the rest of us (perhaps unknowingly) are moving in the opposite direction:

Yet people often dole out all kinds of personal information on the Internet that allows such identifying data to be deduced. Services like Facebook, Twitter and Flickr are oceans of personal minutiae — birthday greetings sent and received, school and work gossip, photos of family vacations, and movies watched.

Computer scientists and policy experts say that such seemingly innocuous bits of self-revelation can increasingly be collected and reassembled by computers to help create a picture of a person’s identity, sometimes down to the Social Security number.

“Technology has rendered the conventional definition of personally identifiable information obsolete,” said Maneesha Mithal, associate director of the Federal Trade Commission’s privacy division. “You can find out who an individual is without it.”

Indeed, in the highly creative and compelling new Syfy series Caprica, a grieving father did just that -- recreated and animated an avatar of his dead teenage daughter by collecting and synthesizing the data detritus of his daughter's online life.

All I know is my online avatar will be eating at Loggia and heading out for a vigorous early afternoon windsurfing session, but don't worry -- you can track my every move on foursquare!


Anonymous said...

no but seriously.

I am really and truly in love.

Anonymous said...

1:02- ??????

Anonymous said...

@1:02, WITH WHO?

Anonymous said...

Kimmie? The Latina? Yourself?

Anonymous said...

How does "vigorous" windsurfing differ from ordinary "windsurfing?"

Anonymous said...

2:11 again-- wouldn't mind doing a threesome with Kimmie and the Latina.

Anonymous said...

Shumie referee, is it illegal to call the shumie a day ahead-- Friday @ 1pm?

Anonymous said...

2:12, love makes the world go round

Godwhacker said...

OK, I have to geek it up with you over the description of the Caprica avatar. Zoe (the daughter/computer genius) created her own avatar. When she died, it was all that was left of her. When her father recognized the magnitude of her achievement -- creating a self-aware, sentient computer program, he sequestered the program to aid in his military work, and used it to operate the prototype of the first Cylon warrior.

We have in that story a metaphor for modern America, wherein the older generation is cannibalizing the young to hold on to youth and opportunity. In other words Leno vs. Conan.

South Florida Lawyers said...

Oh boy, my first Caprica argument!

The avatars are the main product of her father's business. However, Zoe and other teens hacked the technology to go off and do teen things in their online underground.

After she "died," her Dad used the meta-cognitive processor to bring her avatar into the real world, where somehow by mistake it wound up in his super-robot.

You're right -- you managed to majorly geek out this thread.

Godwhacker said...

I disagree -- rewatch the earlier episodes. Zoe certainly built upon her father's work, but her avatar is distinctly different from his technology. Observe the current storyline -- they only have one working Cylon prototype, and they are finding it difficult to produce another for the reason that it's being powered by Zoe's distinctive technology.

Don't even get me started on the parallels with Star Trek The Motion Picture, and the whole Vger/Voyager thing.

Anonymous said...

whacker get a life

Godwhacker said...


Trust me, I have one. This is escapism & fantasy, but also a metaphysical examination of the human condition with a focus on reality absent in much of today's reality based programing, fiction and otherwise.

Anonymous said...

I believe he's referring to the picture of the cutie-pie wearing the hat in the previous post.

The latina is not into a ménage à trois.

Anonymous said...

709 pm - bingo









Her mild perspiration. White teeth. Healthy skin. And hat.

Anonymous said...

Enhanced cleavage, it all works.

Anonymous said...

I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This piece of writing posted
at this web site is actually good.

Here is my blog :: wordpress einrichten anleitung

Anonymous said...

Hello, Neat post. There's an issue together with your web site in web explorer, might check this? IE nonetheless is the marketplace chief and a big section of folks will miss your great writing due to this problem.

Feel free to visit my weblog :: Masseur

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about creating an e-book or guest authoring
on other blogs? I have a blog centered on the same subjects you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information.
I know my visitors would enjoy your work.
If you're even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e mail.

My homepage; körpergewichtsübungen muskelaufbau

Anonymous said...

Paragraph writing is also a excitement, if you be familiar with afterward you can write if not it is difficult to write.

Feel free to surf to my web-site steinzeiternährung kartoffeln

Anonymous said...

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter
updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

My web page: steinzeiternährung

Anonymous said...

What's up, I log on to your blog regularly. Your story-telling style is witty, keep it up!

Here is my site ... low carb treats

Anonymous said...

What i do not realize is in truth how you're not actually much more smartly-liked than you may be now. You are very intelligent. You already know thus considerably in relation to this matter, produced me for my part imagine it from so many various angles. Its like women and men are not fascinated until it's something to do with Girl gaga!
Your individual stuffs nice. At all times maintain it up!

My site :: paleo diet rezepte

Anonymous said...

I just like the helpful info you supply to your articles.

I'll bookmark your weblog and check again right here frequently. I'm fairly certain I'll be informed many new stuff proper right here! Best of luck for the following!

My blog post :: wordpress seminar
Also see my page - customize wordpress

Anonymous said...

Great web site you have here.. It's difficult to find excellent writing like yours these days. I honestly appreciate people like you! Take care!!

Also visit my webpage: wordpress 3.0
my site > wordpress video kurs

Anonymous said...

Howdy! This blog post couldn't be written much better! Looking at this article reminds me of my previous roommate! He constantly kept preaching about this. I'll
send this article to him. Fairly certain he'll have a very good read. I appreciate you for sharing!

Feel free to surf to my web page - kann man katzen absaugen
Also see my page :: getreidefreies trockenfutter für katzen nieren

Anonymous said...

Good information. Lucky me I discovered your website by
chance (stumbleupon). I've book-marked it for later!

Feel free to visit my web-site - lenkmatte für kinder