Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I Left My Heart (and $10 Million?) in Liechenstein.


When's the last time you were accused of stealing $10 million from Afghan royalty and moving it from an offshore account on an English Channel island to another in Liechtenstein?

For West Palm Beach attorney Manley Thaler, I'm gonna say once:

The strange tale of international intrigue has also spawned a criminal investigation in a small island in the English Channel and a civil suit in Palm Beach County Circuit Court.

In each, attorney Manley Thaler is accused of misappropriating millions that the late Afghan leader Abdul Madjid Zabuli left in his will to promote education and culture in his native country. A benefactor of the arts in his hometown of Ithaca, N.Y., Thaler has served on several local philanthropic boards, including the American Red Cross. Now 80, he dined with Britain's Prince Andrew when the queen's son visited Palm Beach in 2007.

According to court records both here and in Liechtenstein, Thaler stripped Zabuli's widow and others of their power over the foundation. He then created a dummy corporation in Liechtenstein, which sits between Switzerland and Austria and is notorious as a place to hide assets.

To finish the deed, he moved $10 million from the foundation that was based in Guernsey, an island state under the British Crown, into the corporation he controlled in Liechtenstein.

Manley is represented by his partner Eileen O'Malley, and the plaintiffs by David Mankuta and Bob Butterworth.

Although I never personally transferred Afghan millions from an English offshore shelter to a tiny European principality, I do vaguely recall a tremendous Who concert on the Isle of Wight, various power struggles involving an iron-clad Doctor that took place in lovely Latveria, and a tiny European war-mongering duchy known as Grand Fenwick.

So it's kinda similar I guess?

17 comments:

  1. Your memories are bleeding again, SFL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only love
    Can make it rain
    The way the beach
    Is kissed by the sea
    Only love
    Can make it rain
    Like the sweat of lovers
    Layin' in the fields

    Love
    Reign o'er me

    Love
    Reign o'er me
    Rain on me
    Rain on me

    Only love
    Can bring the rain
    That makes you yearn
    To the sky
    Only love
    Can bring the rain
    That falls like tears
    From all high

    Love
    Reign o'er me
    Rain on me
    Rain on me

    Love
    Reign o'er me
    Rain on me
    Rain on me

    On the dry and dusty road
    The nights we spent apart alone
    I need to get back home
    To cool cool rain

    I can't sleep and I lay and I think
    The night is hot and black as ink
    Woo Oh God I need a drink
    Of cool cool rain

    Love
    Reign o'er me
    Rain over me
    Over me
    Over me

    Love
    Reign o'er me
    On me

    Love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHUMIE REIGN O'ER ME

    ReplyDelete
  4. all the deals like this that I am involved in originate in emails from Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Memories, real and imagined......

    ReplyDelete
  6. When did the shumie jump on over to the civil blog?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forget the WHo. Bring Zep back.
    Steve Miller!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim Croce reigns supreme.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miguel announces he will not run against anyone else and will give all monies back.

    Classy move!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jim Croce? Oy.

    Boston. CLASSIC ROCKS reigns supreme-- major trip listening when you are high

    RIP Brad Delp

    ReplyDelete
  11. 6:32-- Time In A Bottle-- beat that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Air Supply. REO Speedwagon trumps Jim and Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The wreck of the edmund fitzgerald

    Word

    NB Gordon lightfoot

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shumie made the jump a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You want to talk about "tripping" I took a hit in college and tried pulling a Ric Ocasek

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thats M-O-N-E-Why so sexy I

    Damn! I love the Jag, the jet and the mansion

    Oh yeah
    And I enjoy the gifts and the trips to the islands

    Oh yeah

    It's good to
    live expensive
    You know it
    By my knees get weak intensive

    When you give me k-kisses
    That's money honey
    When I'm your lover and your mistress
    That's money honey
    When you touch me, it's so delicious
    That's money honey
    Baby when you tear me to pieces
    That's money honey

    Thats M-O-N-E-Why so sexy I

    Damn! I love the boat by the beach on the west coast

    Oh yeah
    And I enjoy some fine champagne while my girls toast

    Oh yeah

    It's good to live expensive
    You know it
    By my knees get weak intensive

    When you give me k-kisses
    That's money honey
    When I'm your lover and your mistress
    That's money honey
    When you touch me, it's so delicious
    That's money honey
    Baby when you tear me to pieces
    That's money honey

    You know I appreciate the finer things

    But its not what makes me happiest baby

    (I can do without a thing)
    Your tender loving's more than I can handle

    Never burn out this candle baby, baby

    K-K-K-Kisses
    That's money honey
    When I'm your lover and your mistress
    That's money honey
    When you touch me, it's so delicious
    That's money honey
    Baby when you tear me to pieces
    That's money honey

    When you give me k-kisses
    That's money honey
    When I'm your lover and your mistress
    That's money honey
    When you touch me, it's so delicious
    That's money honey
    Baby when you tear me to pieces
    That's money honey

    When you give me k-kisses
    That's money honey
    When I'm your lover and your mistress
    That's money honey
    When you touch me, it's so delicious
    That's money honey
    Baby when you tear me to pieces
    That's money honey

    Thats M-O-N-E-Why so sexy I

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am Glad i discovered this web site.Added southfloridalawyers.blogspot.com to my bookmark!

    ReplyDelete