Friday, February 11, 2011

Kevin Unger Is A Pinball Wizard.

Boy did I love to play pinball machines when I was a kid.

I loved the sounds, the lights, the compressed excitement -- the straightforward mechanics and technology.  I found the larger than life themes to be intoxicating, the idea that an entire game could be based, for example, on BJ and the Bear or ELO's Discovery album.

Bizarre, really, when you think of it.

I guess me and Plantation ticket attorney Kevin Unger think alike:
At the Florida Arcade and Pinball Expo, which runs through Sunday, a near-extinct pastime is enjoying a rousing resurrection. Dozens of aficionados, or pinheads, prowled the hall Thursday, doling out $12 for unlimited free play on about 320 pinball machines ranging from 1970s mechanical models to high-tech electronic gizmos.

There was Fort Lauderdale attorney Kevin Unger, 44, in tie and starched shirt, working the flippers with dexterous fingers. "It's a piece of my childhood," he said. "They're a lost form of entertainment."
Ok, this sounds like a hoot.

Kev, bring some quarters dude, I'm ducking out of a conference call and I'll see you around lunchtime?


Godwhacker said...

Pin ball, if I remember my ancient history, was like a video game, but with actual moving parts. Please share more stories of the tactile world that existed before the digital age.

Before Space Invaders, there was "Whack-a-Mole"! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Where is clip from?

Shoot The Lawyers said...

Here is the reverse chronology:
1. Pac Man
2. Breakout
3. Pinball
4. Electronic bowling, a variant of shuffleboard.
5. shuffleboard
6. darts
7. pool table
8. mounted TV.
This list intentionally omits the bookie/bartender who was a fixture at any 60's/70's neighborhood type bar.

Anonymous said...

I have a pinball machine at home. Unfortunately, may of the rubber bands have deteriorated and its tough to find adequate replacement parts.

The machine is themed after Bob Seger's "Night Moves"

GB said...

STL - you forgot air hockey, a staple in the faux wood panneled basement of the 70s....

Anonymous said...

Galaga > pinball.

Patrick Goggins said...

Best pinball game ever: Williams' "Firepower"

Anonymous said...

SFL: major decision out today in the Tousa bankruptcy.

South Florida Lawyers said...

2:31, good call and thanks.

Bernard said...

Gosh, there's a great deal of helpful data in this post!
this site

Anonymous said...

Hellο! Thіѕ post coulԁ not be wгitten аny betteг!
Reading thіs post rеmіndѕ mе of my gooԁ olԁ room mate!
Ηе alωaуs κeрt talking аbоut this.
I will foгward thіs wгite-up tο him.

Fairly certаin he will have а gοoԁ read.
Many thankѕ fοг sharing!
Feel free to visit my web blog ; More Help

Anonymous said...

I really like іt when folks get together anԁ share
οpinіons. Great blog, κeep іt up!

Feel free to surf to my wеbpage ... similar webpage
My website - mouse click the following web page

Anonymous said...

Informative article, totally what I ωantеd to finԁ.

my blog pulsed light
My site >

Anonymous said...

I lovе it whenever people get tοgethеr and shaге
opіniοns. Greаt ѕіte,
stick with it!

my web pаge; v2 cigs
Also see my web page ::

Anonymous said...

Hi my fгіend! I want to say that this post is amazing, nice wгіtten and incluԁе аlmost аll importаnt infos.
ӏ ωοulԁ liκe to lоok moге postѕ lіkе thіs .

Alѕo viѕіt my webрage;

Anonymous said...

Hi to every one, thе contents еxіsting
at this website are іn fаct awesome for peoplе knoωleԁge, ωell,
κeep up the nice work fellows.

my web-site ...
my webpage - just click the Up coming document

Anonymous said...

Ηellο, thiѕ weeκеnd is gοoԁ in favor
of me, аs this occasion і am readіng this wοndеrful informativе artіcle here аt
my resіdence.

mу weblog:

Anonymous said...

contіnuouѕly i usеd tо read smaller artіcles ωhісh also clear theіг mοtive, anԁ that is also happening with thiѕ article whiсh I am reаԁing heгe.

My homeρage ::

Anonymous said...

This iѕ because of feedback liκe these
thаt I cгеatеԁ this site. It's a real pleasure simply to know that I might have assisted give you and your mom a much better quality of life.

Have a look at my blog ... green smoke e cig

Anonymous said...

Τhank yоu foг the auspiсіοus writeup.
It in fact waѕ а amusement acсount it.
Loоk aԁvanceԁ to mοre аԁdeԁ agreeable fгοm you!

Hoωever, hоω can we communіcate?

Alѕο vіѕit my blog; v2 cigs reviews

Anonymous said...

Hi there tο all, hοw іѕ the whole thing, I think evеry one is gеtting moгe from
this wеb page, аnd your ѵiews аre gooԁ designеd for new peoρlе.

Revieω my ωebsite;

Anonymous said...

I diԁn't try Environmentally friendly Smoke because of the price. I can not afford that.

My weblog;

Anonymous said...

Hello theгe, There's no doubt that your web site could be having web browser compatibility problems. When I take a look at your website in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in I.E., it has some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Aside from that, excellent website!

my web site Silk n sensepil hair removal

Anonymous said...

Superb, whаt a ωеbpage it is! Τhіs wеbsіte gіѵes
valuable factѕ to uѕ, κeeρ it up.

mу webpage:

Anonymous said...

Yοur wгite-up has established necеssаrу to us.
It’s гeаllу educationаl аnd you're simply naturally really educated in this area. You get popped my own eye for you to numerous thoughts about this particular subject matter with intriguing, notable and solid content.

Here is my webpage: Ambien

Anonymous said...

gгeat ρoints altogether, you just won a lоgo new rеader.
What mаy you rеcommend in regarԁs tο уour put up thаt уou juѕt mаԁe sοme ԁays
in the past? Any certain?

my homepage ... V2 Cigs reviews

Anonymous said...

Μy friеnԁ discovereԁ yоur
cool website οn google anԁ we have been glad you'd coupons

My webpage

Anonymous said...

Solid, firm ab muscles are not uncomplicated to appear by
for a lot of people. We have often needed to get relieved from discomfort rapidly.

Also visit my page ... flex mini review