Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Marc Caputo: Both Sides Now.



Certainly one of the most frequently voiced criticisms of the mainstream media is the use or overuse of false equivalencies -- the notion that "both sides do it" in exactly the same amount, in exactly the same way, there is no difference between the two sides, and therefore we the mainstream media are perfectly balanced in repeatedly noting this enduring political reality.

And let me get my "to be sure" paragraph out front about Marc Caputo -- he's a very good reporter, exceptional perhaps (clearly for the Herald), and that's why it's distressing to see Marc's recent trend of looking around and finding the exact same thing on both sides of the aisle.

Here's Marc today finding both sides to be in exact equipose regarding Trayvon Martin.

Here's Marc last month finding exact equipose between Marco Rubio birthers and Obama birthers.

Marc, enough!  Get back to your good, solid reporting.

Question -- is everything always binary?  Maybe there are more than two sides?  Are the two sides always exactly the same?  On some issues could one side be worse than the other?

Ok, actual legal news -- the Florida Senate has hired our own Raoul Cantero (at $695 an hour) to lead the charge on a second bite at redistricting.

Check out the retainer agreement here.

And no, I'm not commenting on the tribe suit -- the complaint seems like a cheap shot to me.

Seriously, who gives a holy hail about somebody's clocks?

8 comments:

  1. Don't shoot the messenger.

    What is going on is a spectacle.

    Marc should be complemented for speaking about a subject no one else seems to want to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do Cantero and those at his level actually do any legal work? Seriously, no attack. I would hope that if you have the good fortune to get where Cantero has gotten, you let your reputation make rain, assign the actual work to other lawyers at the firm, and become an expert on where to have lunch everyday. Sure, you have to review people's work from time to time, but its mostly just grading papers, isn't it? If not, I give up on trying to be successful. What's the point!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10:41 he practices at Loggia's with the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers!
    Great post! Very informative.
    Thanks for possibility to write on your website,
    it's great!
    I’m still hoping there will be more posts on this site.
    Thanks a lot!

    discrimination lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have natural ethnic hair (very curly and thick, but not course). I transitioned from braids to a natural style using Moroccan Oil Intense Curl Creme. I love this product. My hair

    stays very hydrated, and I can create a variety of natural styles using the Intense Curl. I also take my product to my hair stylist. She also loves the product. There are no artificial chemicals, and is very

    safe on natural hair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the best thing ever!! I live in FLorida where it is hot and humid....I have no air

    conditioning in my car so I have to drive with the windows down...I have very curly, thick, and out of control hair...with all these elements it is hard to find something to make my hair stay straight. This

    worked...I drove on the highway with my windows down in nice hot humid weather and it is still as perfect as when I straightened it 2 days ago!! Buy this product it is worth the money!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had such trouble finding a product for my wavy/curly hair. I have tried everything, and

    while some products worked fine, Moroccan Oil is the best. It works in all climates, which is great for me since I travel a lot. I live mostly in a humid costal climate, and my hair doesn't frizz ar fall

    flat since I started using this product. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the best thing ever!! I live in FLorida where it is hot and humid....I have no air

    conditioning in my car so I have to drive with the windows down...I have very curly, thick, and out of control hair...with all these elements it is hard to find something to make my hair stay straight. This

    worked...I drove on the highway with my windows down in nice hot humid weather and it is still as perfect as when I straightened it 2 days ago!! Buy this product it is worth the money!!!

    ReplyDelete