Monday, May 6, 2013

11th Circuit: Surprise -- Another Florida Law is Unconstitutional!



No, it's not the anti-Sharia "foreign" law (yet), this time it is about foreign law -- namely Cuba:
After careful review, we conclude that Odebrecht has demonstrated a substantial likelihood of success on its claim that the Cuba Amendment violates the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution under principles of conflict preemption. The Cuba Amendment conflicts directly with the extensive and highly calibrated federal regime of sanctions against Cuba promulgated by the legislative and executive branches over almost fifty years. The Supremacy Clause of the Constitution “provides a clear rule that federal law ‘shall be the supreme Law of the Land.’” Arizona v. United States, 132 S. Ct. 2492, 2500 (2012) (quoting U.S. Const. art. VI, cl. 2). The Cuba Amendment differs dramatically from the federal regime as to the entities covered, the actions triggering sanctions, and the penalties imposed. The Amendment also overrides the nuances of the federal law and weakens the President’s ability “to speak for the Nation with one voice in dealing” with Cuba. Crosby v. Nat’l Foreign Trade Council, 530 U.S. 363, 381 (2000). In addition, Odebrecht has demonstrated the other equitable requirements that warrant a preliminary injunction: Odebrecht would have suffered irreparable harm absent the injunction, the balance of harms strongly favored the injunction, and the injunction did not disserve the public interest. We affirm.
In other words -- good job, Judge Moore!

Herald coverage here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This article presents clear idea for the new viewers
of blogging, that truly how to do running a blog.


Feel free to surf to my page - golden labs

Anonymous said...

It's an amazing article designed for all the internet people; they will obtain benefit from it I am sure.

Feel free to surf to my web blog vakantiehuizen frankrijk huren

Anonymous said...

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across
this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out
much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.


Feel free to visit my blog: vakantievilla frankrijk

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
I mean, what you say is valuable and everything. Nevertheless think about if you added
some great graphics or video clips to give your posts more, "pop"!
Your content is excellent but with pics and video clips, this website could definitely be one of the very best in its field.
Good blog!

My blog france travel packages

Anonymous said...

I've been browsing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It's
pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all web owners
and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be a lot more useful than ever before.


Also visit my homepage :: luxe vakantiehuizen

Anonymous said...

I just like the helpful information you supply on your articles.
I will bookmark your blog and test again right here frequently.
I am slightly sure I will be informed plenty of new stuff proper here!
Best of luck for the next!

Here is my web site: luxe vakantiewoningen huren

Anonymous said...

hеу theге anԁ thank yоu fοr your
info – I've certainly picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise several technical points using this website, as I experienced to reload the site many times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK? Not that I'm сοmplainіng, but slow loaԁing іnѕtanceѕ timeѕ will often affect yοur plаcement іn gοоgle and could ԁamаge
your high-qualіty score іf aԁs anԁ markеting
wіth Aԁωorԁѕ. Well ӏ'm adding this RSS to my email and could look out for much more of your respective interesting content. Make sure you update this again very soon.

Also visit my web site buy cheap small fishingboats for sale online