Friday, August 30, 2013

Drudge Doesn't Like 10th Circuit Judges Dining at the Fancy Eat'n Table!

Aah, the coveted "Drudge link" -- entire careers have been made by our local news aggregator's placement of a link on his still-hugely popular site.

(And I'm still waiting -- do your brother a solid!).

But yesterday he linked to a horrific story of tragedy, agony, perfidy, sodomy, ebony and ivory -- ok, it was about 10th Circuit judges having a judicial conference at the Broadmoor:
With officials from the Judicial Branch demanding that Congress end across the board budget cuts from the sequester, federal judges from the Tenth Circuit start to gather today for a judicial conference at a "five star" Colorado resort that features three golf courses and a "scenic mountain backdrop." 
The Tenth Circuit gathering at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs was postponed from a year ago because of budget concerns, but court officials argue canceling the gathering entirely would have actually cost taxpayers money.
"We again considered canceling the conference when the sequester occurred, but the hotel cancellation fees made it more cost-effective to proceed," said Tenth Circuit Executive David Tighe in an email.
Asked about costs, Tighe provided a basic rundown, saying that 99 federal judges attended the last Tenth Circuit gathering, which was also at the Broadmoor.
"The primary cost of judicial conferences is judges' travel and lodging, and in 2010, that totaled approximately $191,000," Tighe said.  The Tenth Circuit covers federal judges in Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Utah and Wyoming.
Sorry, but I can't get outraged over this -- $200k for one hundred federal judges to have a judicial conference that was cancelled last year doesn't seem like too big a deal to me.

Yes it's true the Broadmoor has several golf courses -- so does Century Village btw.

Who cares?  Golf courses are just not that exotic or luxurious anymore.

And a "scenic mountain backdrop" -- would you rather they meet in a windowless slab of concrete, placed directly front of a busy highway, with thousands of cars whizzing by every day while they try to do important legal work?

Just ask the 3d DCA how that feels, come on!

Actually, I'm outraged over the absurdly high cancellation fees -- can't someone sue over that?


Godwhacker said...

All of our ruling officials should be forced to live impoverished lives as celibate monks, so they say...

Anonymous said...

(And I'm still waiting -- do your brother a solid!).

Brother? Drudge has a brother? I thought he was an only child.

Anonymous said...

Funny...I thought you were referring to the Broward Federal Courthouse, where justice percolates like a river of water from top down and the inside out.

BTW - you are missing the really huge expense - how much do you think it costs in marshals' time?

South Florida Lawyers said...

True, the Broward federal courthouse is worthy of its own meme.



Spencer Aronfeld ‏@aronfeld 21m
This is what I call an accident waiting to happen, a wet and slippery floor at a McDonalds.

Anonymous said...

This design is incredible! You obviously know how to
keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I
was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Fantastic job.
I really loved what you had to say, and more than that,
how you presented it. Too cool!

My webpage ... ingreso cybernetico

Anonymous said...

I visited many blogs except the audio quality for audio songs existing at this website is genuinely wonderful.

Feel free to visit my website; black mold removal

Anonymous said...

I savour, lead to I found just what I was taking
a look for. You've ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day.

my page - advice for casual relationship