Tuesday, October 15, 2013

"I Just Put Twelve Boots on the Ground and Say Let's Code Predictively!"

That's just my takeaway of course, but it is interesting to read Alan's views on running his own very successful firm in a changing legal economy:

1.  Do like Marshal Zhukov and throw lots of bodies at the problem:

When Kluger first started his litigation-only firm in 2009, he modeled it after similar firms in the bigger cities of New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Washington, D.C., with the capacity to throw numerous attorneys at big, complex cases. Until recently, he says, that model “hadn’t really been successful in Miami, Houston, Atlanta — what I call the second-tier cities.” But that’s changing as Miami matures, he says.

2.   Do like Neil Young and computerize:
For Alan J. Kluger, founding member of Kluger Kaplan, technology is the big equalizer in law firms. His litigation firm relies heavily on predictive coding — software that helps locate the most relevant content — to sort through reams of discovery documents. He is currently using that process to whittle five million documents to what is most pertinent in one of his current cases. “I had my group get it down to 1,500,” he says. “I got it down to 200. I am going to go through it and will get it down to 90.”

"By the time I get to the jury the whole case will fit on a single small post-it."

3.  Do like Walter White and stick only with home-grown talent:
“We have not made a single lateral hire,” says Kluger. “I want to groom them from the beginning.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/13/3684655_p4/after-the-recession-legal-profession.html#storylink=cpy
All kidding aside, he's doing something right.

Alan's firm is up from 16 to 33 lawyers -- that's a lot of grooming!

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/13/3684655_p2/after-the-recession-legal-profession.html#storylink=cpy


Anonymous said...

Miami is a second tier city. Fuck you Alan.

Also, no complex litigation firms, like HK or Greenburg, two of the largest firms in the world. But in the world of Klug, nobody to handle complex litigation here. I am sure that Podhurst, Colson and others might disagree as well.

Godwhacker said...

When the Republicans crash the economy I'm turning to cannibalism and I will sauté their livers with onions.

Anonymous said...


Anonymous said...

Maybe we have the ingredients for a new firm?


Here is a start for a jingle

Klugenfeld for you,
Klugenfeld for me,
complex complex in-jur-ies

Anonymous said...

does he realize that no one

and i mean no one

takesd him seriously?

Spencer's World. said...

There's dangers seen and unseen in that technology. I would tread carefully. But then. I always tread carefully.

At our firm, we roll up our sleeves and go through the discovery the old fashioned way- with gallons of coffee and pizza boxes and take out from Cantons. We rock.

Nancy Jorden said...

I loved your blog about lawyers. I have been trying to find a good lawyer for myself. This has helped me out a lot. Thank you again.

Spencer's World said...

Careful Nancy....be very careful....

Anonymous said...

I swear there is audio for that picture and if you listen closely you can here him say: "Ohh my precious"