Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Reefer Madness Sanity

So have you heard the news? The whole country is going to pot, and that's not such a bad thing.

Let's review. As of November 2013 Colorado and Washington State voted to legalize and regulate recreational marijuana consumption for adults. Medical marijuana is legal in 20 states plus the District of Columbia, and many more states are moving to follow their lead including the big boys like New York and Texas.  Here in Florida medical marijuana advocates have collected enough signatures to put it on the ballot and the Supremes, Diana Ross in all her glory, have seen fit to allow it to move forward.

Even more significant is the fact that mainstream Republican leaders like Texas Governor Rick Perry have come out in support for changes in our marijuana laws, and President Obama, that commie pothead, has stated the simple truth many have know for years -- that marijuana is no more dangerous than alcohol.

For the first time in polling history a majority of Americans support the legalization of marijuana for recreational purposes. Considering the 80 year propaganda war that has been waged on cannabis, that is truly amazing.

The federal government's position on marijuana scheduling, that it has no medical value, is a blatant lie provable by the fact that the government itself holds a patent on its medical use.

From the fed's own patent.
“Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases.The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and HIV dementia.”
The question Florida voters will decide this November is a simple one; should those who use marijuana for valid medical reasons be subject to our criminal justice system for their transgression? If you are anything resembling a reasonable person your answer should be 'no.'


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Governor Skeletor must be very upset.

Anonymous said...

Lets be honest - this is just an attempt to fully legalize it. Which should not happen unless we are prepared to legalize all drugs.

Anonymous said...

Legalization on the one hand, creates HUGE amounts of revenue for the government, at all levels.

Competing against that are all the law inforcement/prison interests who fill the coffers of politicians with donations to build prisons, private security, government law enforcement jobs, etc.

Its humorous: all the right wing fanatics scream for INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS ! and SMALL GOVERNMENT WITH NO INTRUSION, I CAN HANDLE MY OWN BUSINESS ITS UP TO PARENTS TO RAISE KIDS TO RESPECT GUNS, ETC!

But with drugs, those same zealots scream THIS IS TERRIBLE EVERYONE WILL BE AN ADDICT!

Um, what happened to individual responsibility and small government?

Fuck Godwhacker, you got me started and its only Tuesday....

Godwhacker said...

@11:01

I used to be a libertarian, but not any more. I've got to say that I don't agree. One of these things is not like the other. I've smoked marijuana for both medical and recreational reasons on and off over the decades. I've also done a whole alphabet soup of other drugs. There is no other drug that has as little risk or potential for addiction. Not aspirin. Not alcohol. Not cigarettes. And certainly not cocaine and heroin.

If cigarettes were as easy to quit as pot there would be a lot less smokers.

But just because marijuana has a very acceptable level of risk and addiction doesn't mean the same is true for all the other drugs.

I support the regulation and taxation of marijuana, in a manor similar to alcohol.

For the rest of the drugs I think we should follow the Portuguese model and decriminalize them at the user level, treating addiction as a public health issue rather than a criminal one. Selling black market drugs that are potentially lethal should still be a crime.

@11:10
To be fair there are some followers of Aqua Buddha among the conservative ranks.

Anonymous said...

It really is profound that I can envision the day where I smoke a joint legally on the steps of 73 West Flagler right after I gay-marry my partner of 10 years.

Godwhacker said...

@12:03
Congratulations on 10 years together! Yes, the time is coming!

I always imagined getting married, one distant day in my latter years. But that was 3 years ago now and I'm not so ancient as I thought I would be. Hubby and I are filing our first joint tax return today!

Anonymous said...

Godwhacker -

The danger is not the issue, it is the entre to other drugs. You gonna tell me that you started with Coke? Right. Probably a joint, then tried other things. Congrats on not getting addicted, but there are many people out there who will smoke legalized marijuana, who otherwise would not have, and who will end up trying something stronger and getting addicted. That is why I say legalize one, legalize them all, tax them heavily and then deal with the consequences. Heck, we may even naturally select all the addiction genes out of our gene pool eventually.

Godwhacker said...

@2:57

Always one to cut to the chase, I started with LSD actually.

There were points when I was addicted to other drugs. I know the difference between a chemical addiction and a habit or a psychological addiction in ways that they could not teach at universities for fear of killing the students.

Quitting marijuana is easier, for me at least, than quitting coffee, which I have no intention of doing for my own well being and that of those around me.

I hear your concerns about gateway drugs, but I really don't think they are based in reality. But by classifying a relatively non-harmful substance like cannabis alongside dangerous and addictive drugs like cocaine we make the cocaine seem safer, no? When a kid tries pot and says, "well that wasn't so bad" might they not go on to the next on the same list?

Pot was a gateway drug for me in one way. A gateway to sobriety. I really don't think I could have quit some of the harder stuff without it.

A is A. Pot is Pot. Cocaine is not. The idea that we can't have separate laws for different things is just silly.

Godwhacker said...

But hats off to you 2:57! You have me arguing for some prohibition!

And I awoke in my deepest nightmare to find that I am a moderate centrist. The agony! The shame!