Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Artist formerly known as "Successful"

I was a Prince fan from way back. As a gay teen, I took solace in his gender bending, and the fact that a man could prance around in women's underwear while playing a mean guitar and writing songs that always ended with fantastic musical and sometimes actual orgasms.

I've looked the other way as Prince drifted away from his fanciful erotica and into some pretty hard core religious beliefs, even expressing embarrassment at some of his previous works and suggesting that the answer to gay marriage was found in some 3,000 year old book that he read. But when I read this today I have finally had enough.

Pop icon Prince is stirring controversy again — this time, going after fans for posting alleged bootlegged copies of his performances online. Under his full name, Prince Rogers Nelson, the “Controversy” singer filed a copyright infringement lawsuit in the Northern District of California on Jan. 16 against 22 individuals for $1 million each — for a total of $22 million. “The Defendants in this case engage in massive infringement and bootlegging of Prince’s material,” the lawsuit, obtained by ABC News, reads.

The idea that you're going to have total control over all of your material in this age of digital information just isn't practical, and the sheer stupidity of going after the people who are promoting you and undoubtedly boosting your fading star is self-destructive to the degree. So can I sue Prince now? The albums I spent all that money on just aren't as enjoyable now that I know what an @ss he is. 


South Florida Lawyers said...

Sometimes hard to separate the artist from the actions taken by the handlers etc. This one seems mostly boneheaded and not the type of headline he needs at this point in his career.

Godwhacker said...

It reminds me of the Kodak v Paul Simon case.

Anonymous said...

The thought of him banging Kim Bassinger is either very hot or very disturbing.

spencer shawn said...

My friend was a big Prince fan. Maybe we should find a lawyer like Lois Iannone that can get his money back too. I liked his music as well.