Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Wicked Witch of the West


When I was a wee little whacker trying to grasp the concepts behind the cold war that permeated every aspect of 1960s life, I asked my granddaddy, "what's the difference between us and the Russians?" "They invade other countries, we only go to war to defend. They torture people and we don't," he said. That's a simplistic summery and not entirely true, but it formed my early concepts of our national identity. We were the guys in the white hats and they were the reds.

Latter on I read the works of Smedley Butler, hero of the republic, who openly exposed how our military has been used over the decades, not to defend, but to further the business interests of American corporations.

“I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.” 

But even if the first part of my grandfather's explanation wasn't true, the second part still held, right? Wrong again.

Under the Clinton Administration, extraordinary rendition had become a regular part of American intelligence operations. We didn't torture, but we let the Syrians or the Egyptians torture for us. This is the international version of "I don't beat my wife, I pay my neighbor to beat her for me." But the walls really fell under the Bush Administration and their concept of "enhanced interrogation" which is what we in the non-Orwellian, English speaking world commonly call "torture."

These are the truths currently being investigated by the Senate Intelligence Committee, and the epicenter of what may develop into a truly troubling constitutional crisis.

Dianne Feinstein is outraged! Outraged that the intelligence apparatus of our country could be turned on the very senate committee in charge of the oversight of our intelligence apparatus. Friends, countrymen, if the CIA is willing to go after the senate itself, what are they willing to do to the rest of us?

So while Senator Feinstein is upset that the CIA had the audacity to look into her computers she gets my "Wicked Witch of the West" award for being the greatest apologist for unwarranted eavesdropping in the senate.

Hypocrisy much Dianne?

Now, to put you in a better mood, here's some gratuitous ass shaking.

)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only GW could combine the business plot, torture, domestic spying and a twerking video and somehow make it work.

Godwhacker said...

It's all one universe 10:37!

Spencer's World. said...

Comrades! I bring you the peaceful people of Crimea greetings and salutations from the people of Miami. If you or a loved one has suffered loss or injury due to a recent invasion, I am prepared to sue In Miami courts and the world court on your behalf. Call 1-888-Crimeas. Lawyers are standing by.

Godwhacker said...

But will he twerk?

Anonymous said...

@10:37 LOL

Anonymous said...

Godwhacker, it's as if your metaphor applies not just to the senator but to the west as a whole.

Anonymous said...

Hyperbole much?

Godwhacker said...

@1:45

Doesn't it though.

South Florida Lawyers said...

It's Godwhacker's world -- we only live in it.

Anonymous said...

yuck.... i agree with GW on this one.

Fake Chelsea Manning said...

Let's hear it for the pro-torture crowd! Who get to attach the electrodes to the testicles? That's my favorite part!

Anonymous said...

Can you dance like that GW?

Godwhacker said...

@10:02

No, but my husband can which is, in part, why I'm usually in a good mood.

Anonymous said...

I guess we really are the root of all evil in the world! Get Real.

Muhammad Shoaib said...

“this is very interesting. thanks for that. we need more sites like this. i commend you on your great content and excellent topic choices.”
Spanish Fork Lawyers
Spanish Fork Lawyer
Spanish Fork Attorneys
Spanish Fork Attorney