Wednesday, April 9, 2014

3d DCA Watch -- Deja Vu All Over Again!

Just to make my life easier, I've saved some code (ctrl/alt/bunker) so when needed I can spit out the same paragraph about the same repetitive topic -- how endlessly confusing offer of judgment law is, and how often trial judges and lawyers get it wrong.

Here it is:


Royal Caribbean v. Cox:

Oh goodie, look:


(Maritime edition).

BTW, this one required a rehearing en banc, and a substitution of a prior appellate opinion.

But at least this issue is resolved forever (or until next week, whichever comes first).


Anonymous said...

Interesting decision. And thoughtful.

Anonymous said...

big win for Hicks and Stein!

Anonymous said...

Anyone else noticing a lot of "bounceback emails" regarding efiling and esservice?

Spencer's World said...

*roll cameras*

[A small one room cabin is seen from a distance in the mist. A solitary figure is seen walking from the cabin towards the camera].

I was born in a small one room cabin much like our most famous trial lawyer/President-Abraham Lincoln.

[Images of a small grocery store scrolls across the scene]

Like most Americans, I worked after school to help out Mom and Pop.

[Now an image of Palm trees is on the screen]

And then I was lucky enough to attend the university of Miami law school.

It was just a few days after law school when I was sitting in a coffee shop and the waitress mentioned that her husband was run over by a drunk coral gables maintenance man riding a law mower in a reckless manner. He husband, a tap dance instructor lost his big toe. "Millie" confided in me: "we need a good lawyer. But who can we trust?"

I swear I heard angles singing overhead.
This was my moment.
"I can help you Millie. My name's Spencer. And I'm a lawyer"

Well I worked on that case for two years, scrounging used legal pads from the garbage at Shutts and Bowen and writing on the back and the proceeds of that lawsuit that I settled paid for my second "back-up" suit and tie.

[spencer is now seen buying a hot dog outside of the courthouse and affectionately patting the head of the hot dog lady's dog. Then Spencer turns to face the camera.
"It's twenty years later and I am not ashamed to say that I still have that suit. I wear it on Thursdays. On Fridays we have casual Friday at the office and I wear my chino dockers and madrass shirt and penny loafers. I'm a regular guy. I represent regular people like you. If you need a lawyer call me. I see client's at work, at lunch, at sunday brunch."

The camera pulls back as Spencer finishes the hot dog, high fives a bailiff walking down the stairs, and then he bends down, picks up his briefcase and literally trots up the stairs and into the courthouse.]

Anonymous said...

pure genius

Anonymous said...

Nice ! Sfl has a fourth wheel ....

Anonymous said...

You need to direct his commercials, because he does have a personal commercial director.