Friday, October 17, 2014

Yes On 1



Do you drink water? I drink water. I like water. Water is good. When you break life down to its most basic essentials, water is right there with food, air, shelter, and love. That is why I'm supporting Amendment 1. (Notice I left out clothing. That shit just gets in the way.)

The summary of the amendment reads:
Funds the Land Acquisition Trust Fund to acquire, restore, improve, and manage conservation lands including wetlands and forests; fish and wildlife habitat; lands protecting water resources and drinking water sources, including the Everglades, and the water quality of rivers, lakes, and streams; beaches and shores; outdoor recreational lands; working farms and ranches; and historic or geologic sites, by dedicating 33 percent of net revenues from the existing excise tax on documents for 20 years.
I grew up a city boy in Miami but I spend most of my time these days in the gorgeous, unspoiled places where I am more likely to see a deer or a gator than another person. I'm often troubled by the very real fear that I may be one of the last people to see these places in their pristine condition.


We made enormous strides on the environment in the 1970s. That tree-hugger Nixon brought us the EPA. There was widespread public recognition of the mistakes that we made in the early days of the industrial revolution and we took bold steps to correct them.

But somewhere along the way we lost our way. Junk science has replaced environmental awareness and we are now entering into what many fear may be our next mass extinction event. Fracking is poisoning our aquifers, radiation is contaminating our vast oceans, and even the Pentagon recognizes the clear and present danger of climate change.

Amendment 1 isn't going to fix all of that. I fear it may be too little too late. But it's something and we should do something. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Friday, SFL, GW & GB.