Rumors of Our Demise are Greatly Exaggerated



I don't know about you, but I am sick and tired of the constant analysis of the law business and the portrayal that because law firms are making cuts and changing strategies, the legal system as we know it will cease to exist.

Okay, Okay: I know its not that extreme, and I realize we present an easy target for bashing and that folks - including our clients, behind our backs - may quietly cheer our collective need to tighten the belt and reassess. But that's just it: its not rocket science. The party is over. Like everyone else, lawyers, practice groups, business models and law firms or offices that were infirm to begin with but merely benefited from the rising tide that lifted all windsurfers, have failed. And, frankly, good riddance. Pruning is good. Change is good. Gin, is good. I digress.

Some firms are already hitting the "reset button" and starting to see change, while others ignored "reset" and chose to reload. (I would like to have the clout to join a Really Big Firm, open its new office in a wonderful foreign locale, and add my name to the door. "Morrison Foerster & Guest Blogger/Jones, Day and Guest Blogger proudly announce the opening of their Amsterdam office." Digressing further, did you know they have an office in Amsterdam? If he is not tending to his important legal stuff here, my guess is he is likely in Mokum sampling, er, testing legal theories and performing legal research.)

Anyhoo, we are midway through the third year of what smart people say will be a three year downturn. The lawyers and firms that survive, remain healthy and utilize the three year period to reassess the way they do business, are going to come out like gangbusters and possibly reshape the legal landscape. Word.

Comments

  1. I work in the legal field as you know SFL, and I agree with you. If people think lawyers or the judicial process are just going to go away - they are crazy.

    Many firms around here have cut support staff or lowered their hourly rates. But many of the big dog firms and star performing smaller firms I know are still raking in the business - a lot of severance agreements and layoffs these days.

    So more power to you. I think there's probably too many people coming out of law school these days, but I think there are still jobs to be found and business to be had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're making money. I know, because they're making it on my sweaty back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy Vey...

    Three words - "My Sweaty Back," and I can hear the hounds who routinely post comments on this blog, approaching in the distance....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rumors...demise...SFL....

    Exactly, Guest Blogger!

    But I'm enjoying The Man's stuff so much I think we should let him finish out the day in his own indomitable way.

    See you all tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya got that Boom Boom Boom
    I got that Shum Shum Shum.

    I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fake man in fullJune 22, 2009 at 5:07 PM

    Gigi- I rub you down and wipe the sweat from your over burdened back, and massage those aching muscles as well. I left a comment under another post earlier today-

    Chris Rock/Lynard Skynard concert this Friday.

    You/ Me. A Limo. A massage. Some ice cold Vodka. What do you say?

    ReplyDelete
  7. fake man in fullJune 22, 2009 at 5:08 PM

    Umm.. that should read as follows:

    Gigi- I'll rub you down and wipe the sweat from your over burdened back, and massage those aching muscles as well. I left a comment under another post earlier today-

    KID Rock/Lynard Skynard concert this Friday.

    You/ Me. A Limo. A massage. Some ice cold Vodka. What do you say?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guest blogger, for your encore, you need to post Run DMC's "It's Tricky" in an entry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 5:53 p.m. - good call. Alas, my time is up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As IF!

    No way dofus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. status hate umbria previews analysed pushes exploited trainingthe teamroom recommending laptop
    servimundos melifermuly

    ReplyDelete
  12. amendments american unattended programming quarter dario floppy stepchild aiden capacities generator
    servimundos melifermuly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment